What are the best delay pedals in 2017?
We can answer that question for you right here! Just check out our quick table below showing our picks for 2016-2017. And if you want more information, read some of the individual reviews.
Besides personal favorites, we chose this list partially based on the most popular, bestselling and/or most used delay effects pedals.
- What are the best delay pedals in 2017?
- The Best Delay Pedals Comparison
- Working With Modulation Effects
- The Best Delay Pedals Reviewed
- My Picks For Top Delay Pedals By Price Range:
The Best Delay Pedals Comparison
|Name||Description||Check It Out|
|1. TC Electronic FlashBack Delay and Looper Guitar Delay||Our favorite!||Read Review|
|2. Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Analog||Awesome little analog delay for when you want the most authentic tone.||Read Review|
|3. Wampler Pedals FAUXANALOGECHO Faux Series Analog Echo||Got a bit more to spend and want to boutique delay pedal? Look at this one.||Read Review|
|4. Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter||Need something with tap tempo? This is the best one for that!||Read Review|
|5. Digitech XDD DigiDelay||Great digital option and it's cheap too!||Read Review|
|6. MXR M169 Carbon Copy||A great mid priced pedal that sounds excellent too.||Read Review|
|7. TC Electronic Nova Delay||For the pros.||Read Review|
Looking for something more specific? Take a look at these review pages:
Working With Modulation Effects
If you are looking for one of the absolute best delay pedals for the money, it can be quite a decision because of all the different models out there. What you choose for a delay pedal really depends on a lot of different factors:
- The genre of music you play (delay works for just about anything – jazz, ambient, rock, indie, metal, country, blues, reggae, praise and worship) – yeah that just about covers it all!
- How affordable it is for you and how it fits in your budget.
- Without or with tap tempo. For me, having tap tempo is awesome for live performances since it lets you set the delay tempo on the fly quickly and easily.
- Do you play rhythm or lead?
- Playing clean or with distortion.
There are no hard rules about this because it all depends on your set up. The best thing to do is just try different oscillation settings, hook up on the front end of the amp or try putting all your modulation effects like delay in your amp’s effects loop. Just make some noise!
What Does A Delay Pedal Sound Like?
It’s basically like an echo.
Do These Delays Work For Other Instruments?
Yeah! I don’t see why not – anything that is connected to an amp should work, including:
- for guitar
- for vocals
What Delay Pedal Does John Frusciante Use?
What Delay Pedal does John Mayer Use?
John’s delay of choice is the Way Huge Aqua Puss.
What Delay Pedal Does U2 Use?
The Edge has an interesting delay set up for his tone. He uses two TC-2290s set up in stereo. If you go here, there is a very in-depth explanation of this that goes into a ton of detail.
The Best Delay Pedals Reviewed
- Tons of different types of delay options – 11 in total which should be more than enough to give you exactly what you are looking for.
- Plenty of knobs and switches to help you dial in the perfect tone you want.
- Very cool “Toneprint” feature that emulates delay settings by some of your favorite guitarists.
- Has both stereo and mono inputs and outputs.
- Doesn’t take up a lot of space on your board and very well built and durable.
- Neat audio tapping feature that allows you to set the delay tempo by strumming your guitar.
- Toggle switch gives you the ability to change between 16th notes or dotted 8ths.
- TC Electronic is known for being of the upmost quality in their effects.
- Easy access battery making changing a breeze.
- True bypass.
Best Analog – Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Analog Delay Pedal
- True bypass analog with plenty of control options to help you mold your sound.
- Based on Bucket Brigade circuitry for a nice vintage tone.
- Built in LED light that blinks to tell you the tempo of the delay at a glance.
- Built with top quality components.
Best Boutique – Wampler Pedals FAUXANALOGECHO Faux Series Analog Echo
- Combines the warmth of analog with classic delay.
- Proudly used by Brad Paisley, Brent Mason and more famous musicians.
- Based on the pt2399 chip which is the industry standard for delay pedals in the industry.
- Orange is my favorite color! This one stands out in your board!
- Made from top notch components.
Best Tap Tempo – Ibanez ES2 Echo Shifter
[easyazon_image align=”left” height=”300″ identifier=”B00BFWIZGI” locale=”US” src=”https://www.jtpedals.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/512T4K6q0AL.jpg” tag=”jtspedals-20″ width=”180″]
- The delay time slider is 30ms to 1000ms.
- Oscillation on or off toggle switch adds fifteen (15) dB of gain to the feedback loop for psychedelic effects.
- Unlike some analog delays the tap tempo foot-switch can be adjusted seamlessly on the fly without pitch artifacts
- One nine volts (9V) battery or an AC power adapter (standard center negative DC) that is sold separately powers it.
- The pitch modulation gives a wide range of effects, which vary from slow, soaring sweeps to vibrato-like flutters.
My Picks For Top Delay Pedals By Price Range:
Best Digital and Cheap $ – Digitech XDD DigiDelay
- Features seven different types of delay with tap tempo and up to four seconds of delay.
- Switchable cabinet modeling.
- Both mono and stereo output options.
- High quality build with standard power with either a 9 volt or adapter.
$$ – MXR M169 Carbon Copy
- Excellent tape echo emulator delay pedal with all analog design.
- Up to 6 seconds of delay time and plenty of versatility.
- Modulation switch to give you even more tonal options for your sound.
- Small compact design that will fit into a small spot on your footswitch path.
$$$ – TC Electronic Nova Delay
- It looks intimidating when you first see all the lights, led’s, switches, knobs and more but like everything else, just experiment with it and you will be fine.
- Allows you to save up to nine different custom settings that you set up.
- Six different types of delay with both preset and manual mode.
- Stereo and mono outputs.
- Tap tempo feature.