What Is A Multi-Effects Pedal?
I tend to prefer using a number of different single effects pedals but that does not mean that the best multi-effects processors do not have their place. They certainly do and there are many different excellent models on the market to look into. I tried to include an Amazon link so you can look at the reviews of each pedal and also included Youtube videos showing demos to give you a good idea on what each sounded like.
Also, in the last few years, many companies have created multi-effects pedals that cover only a part of the normal effects array, but sound great. You can then add your own overdrive pedal, etc to box that will have a variety of presets and provide quite a bit of versatility in one box. Some good examples would be the Eventide H9 (sounds great – though not really a chained, multi-effects pedal) and the TC Electronic G-System.
Of course, I always recommend checking out the pedal before buying. Or, if you will be, in part, checking out the effects pedal by ordering it online, understand the return policy.
- What Is A Multi-Effects Pedal?
- Best Guitar Multi Effects Pedal Recommendations
- My Recommendations
- My Absolute All Time Favorite – Boss ME-80
- My Picks For Top Multi-Effects Pedals By Price Range:
Best Guitar Multi Effects Pedal Recommendations
|Name||Description||Check It Out|
|1. Boss ME-80||Our favorite!||Read Review|
|2. Behringer FX600||Great for guitarists on a budget!||Read Review|
|3. DigiTech Element XP||Looking for a few more options? Look at this.||Read Review|
|4. DigiTech RP360 Guitar Multi-Effect with USB Streaming||Not super expensive but still has great versatility and tone!||Read Review|
|5. Boss ME25||Great multi effects for less than $200!||Read Review|
|6. DigiTech RP500 Integrated-Effects Switching System||Tons of presets and built in looper!||Read Review|
|7. DigiTech RP1000 Integrated-Effects Switching System||Awesome amp modeling as well as stomp pedal options.||Read Review|
|8. Line 6 POD HD500X||Heavy duty amp and effects modeler.||Read Review|
|9. Boss ME-70||Tons of options and tones. You could probably play with this one for years and not get to everything!||Read Review|
What Features To Consider
Each brand and model has a number of different features that you may want to take into account when you are looking at buying one of these. Here are a few:
- Analog or Digital
- With or without a recording interface
- with or without amp modeling
- with or without a built in drum machine
- Features like true bypass, an included case or power supply
- Number of presets
- Ability to store your own settings
My Absolute All Time Favorite – Boss ME-80
For me, this is one of the ones that I really like. It’s got a ton of features, isn’t too expensive (when it comes to multi-effect – still costs a fair amount) and has excellent reviews as well:
- Can run up to eight effects at the same time.
- Has 9 different preamp models and 59 different guitar effects.
- Works awesome for both live gigs as well as in the recording studio.
- If you like the Boss single effect stomp boxes, this does an excellent job at emulating the best of these.
- Uses COSM modeling that helps to simulate many different popular guitar amps.
My Picks For Top Multi-Effects Pedals By Price Range:
Cheap $ – Behringer FX600
- Only takes up a regular single stomp box space in a pedalboard.
- Six 24 bit stereo effects.
- Excellent for people looking for something n a budget.
$$ – DigiTech Element XP
- Can store up to 200 differnt presets.
- Features a ton of different effects – 58 in total.
- Tuner and expression pedal is built in.
- Comes with the much needed power supply.
- Has 198 presets and 126 different effect options.
- Can be used as a loop pedal with 40 seconds of loop available.
- The integrated LCD screen makes it super easy to work with the pedal.
- 60 different built in drum tracks to jam with.
- Built in tuner and headphone jack.
- Excellent for live applications or in the studio.
$$$$ – Boss ME25
Want more under $200 options? Look –> Best Cheap Multi Effects Pedals Under 200
- New updated operating system that is easier to use.
- Three footswitches plus an expression pedal allowing you to have plenty of options available at a time.
- Compact design that does not take up a lot of space.
- Plenty of awesome presets to choose from.
- 200 presets and over 125 different effect options.
- 20 second loop option.
- Tons of different amp models of a lot of different popular amplifiers.
- Over 160 different models of amp, effects, speaker cabinets and effects.
- 10 stomp pedals giving a lot of different options for mixing and matching effects.
- Big easy to read display.
$$$$$$$ – Line 6 POD HD500X
- 12 heavy duty foot switches.
- Huge collection of amp and effect models.
- 512 writable presets
$$$$$$$$ – Boss ME-70
- Has a metric ton of options, amp and effect models and more.
- Perfect for songwriting, live gigs, recording and any other application.
- 4 stomp switches and an expression pedal.